Jun 3, 2022
The events focused on co-creation of activities for achieving future scenario envisaged through the reflection and co-design process for RRI ‘anchor’ activities in the Montenegro territory.
Date: May 2022
Location: Podgorica and Ulcinj
Organizers: The Association “Knowledge, Education and Science – Zona”, Science and Technology Park Montenegro
Who attended the event?
Instead of one general workshop, several smaller ones were organised with the aim of achieving direct communication with key actors whose activities will be important in the further valorization of the saltwork area. In that sense, meetings were organized with representatives of the University of Montenegro, local government Ulcinj, the Ministry of Economic Development and representatives of the NGO sector. All the meetings were held during the month of May, 2022.
What happened at the event?
The meetings gathered about 10 stakeholders from local governments, national authorities, civil society organizations that are focused on environmental knowledge and protection, as well as academic institutions.
The main topic of discussion during the meetings was the valorization of saltwork potentials in the future. The scope of the meetings was to agree on an overall approach to determine future strategic plans for saltwork, that is to establish activities that will achieve the previously selected most objective future scenario for this region: Sustainable salt production.
The following future activities were some of the topics of discussion during the several gatherings:
- The ‘anchor’ initiative in Montenegro will, among others, develop and employ science communication ‘instruments’ (e.g. virtual platforms) for raising citizens’ and stakeholders’ awareness towards science/environment-related issues in the territory. (Indicator: Science publications in media outlets in Montenegro as an outcome of the project)
- Following the future plans, the policies and strategic document that will be developed for this area will also measure as a success, if in line with the priorities and expectations for utilization of this area. Given that Montenegro had a technical government at the time of these activities, it was difficult to organize more meetings with representatives of other key actors, but it is planned to include more institutions and organizations in the future that can help in achieving the defined scenario.
- Other activities will envisage the resumption of salt production, but to a much lesser extent than before. By all means, the production process would have to be modernized and prepared in accordance with more modern conditions in order to make the whole process more efficient than it was before. Although the process of salt production is not the only one, it is certainly the most important because without salt and its production in the Saltworks, there is no valorization of the economic, environmental, tourist and scientific potential of the Saltworks.
- The protected area actively managed for biodiversity with salt production for interpretation purposes only. This activity is based on the presumption that the area will be managed as a protected area where salt will be produced in a strictly limited area for promotional and educational purposes only.
- This activity is the form of joint or collaborative management where a company responsible for salt production and a public authority for management of the protected area should share their responsibilities in decision-making processes. If Action 2 is applied, then any form of a public institution for management of the protected area should be promoted.
All of the key actors that were part of the several workshops will stay in close cooperation with the project partners during the implementation of the anchor initiative in this region.